Caffeine is a controversial subject in the world of health and nutrition. Some say that it has incredible health benefits. The opposite opinion is also not too hard to find. You want to know if having a few cups of caffeinated coffee is healthy for you or not? Well, unfortunately I can’t answer that. Because I am not you. You see, caffeine has a different effect on each individual. To determine if caffeine works for you let’s look at some effects caffeine has on the human body.
Let’s Start with the Positive Ones
- Increased Alertness and Mental Performance
- Improved Mood
- Increased Concentration
- Better Physical Performance for Athletes
Now the Not so Great Effects of Caffeine
- Elevation in Stress Hormones
- Irritability and Agitation
- Gastrointestinal Issues Because of Stimulant Effect
- Blood Pressure Elevation and Cardiovascular Problems
- Contributes to Premature Aging
Besides the effects caffeine has on your body there are other ways to determine if coffee is contributing to your health. How and when are you having coffee? Enjoying freshly brewed organic coffee in the morning vs. grabbing coffee on the go a few times throughout the day makes a big difference. Here are a few tips of mine when it comes to coffee. . .
- Caffeine can stay in your system for many hours. Consuming coffee too late in the day can lead to sleeping disorders.
- If you are adding milk and sugar to your coffee the problem may not be the coffee itself. It’s what you are adding to it that can have a negative effect on your health.
- Coffee has a dehydrating effect on the body so make sure you drink extra water if you are having coffee regularly.
- Coffee is one of the most sprayed crops. Having fresh organic coffee vs. conventional coffee will make a big difference when it comes to the taste and your health.
How to Upgrade your Morning Coffee
Have you heard about Bulletproof coffee? The original Bulletproof coffee recipe was created by Dave Asprey. He recommends blending grass-fed butter and Brain Octane Oil with freshly brewed black coffee. Dave Asprey claims that this mixture will not only boost your mental clarity, but the drink also aids in weight loss. He attributed most of the negative side effects of coffee to the way your coffee is produced. He assures that the Bulletproof coffee beans have no toxins in them. I would say this is a health upgrade for any regular coffee drinker out there.
Can’t tolerate coffee? Don’t be too down just yet because there are a lot of great decaffeinated hot beverages out there.
- Herbal Tea
- Herbal Coffee
- Decaffeinated Coffee (may still contain traces amounts of caffeine)
Whatever you choose to drink always ask yourself if you are preventing disease or contributing to it. Ultimately that’s what we need to do with everything we choose to ingest. Experiment with these drinks and find out which one is best for you.